California Alternative Assessments (CAA)
The California Alternate Assessments (CAAs) for English language arts/literacy (ELA), mathematics, and science are part of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress system. The goals of the CAAs are to ensure that students with the most significant cognitive disabilities achieve increasingly higher academic outcomes and leave high school ready for postsecondary options.
The CAAs for ELA and mathematics are aligned with alternate achievement standards—called the Core Content Connectors (CCCs)—and linked to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
Only eligible student may participate in the administration of the CAAs. Any student identified for alternate testing takes the alternate versions of all tests. Individualized education program (IEP) teams “shall determine when a child with a significant cognitive disability shall participate in an alternate assessment aligned with the alternate academic achievement standards.” (Title 1, Part A, Subpart 1, Sec. 1111(b)(2)(D)(ii)(I)—Every Student Succeeds Act, 2015)
Student Score Report Guides
- CAA Parent Guide Grades 3, 4, 5, 7, and 11
- CAA Parent Guide Grades 3, 4, 6, 7, and 11 (Spanish)
- CAA Parent Guide Grades 3, 4, 6, 7, and 11 (link to other languages)
- CAA Parent Guide Grade 5 and 8
- CAA Parent Guide Grade 5 and 8 (Spanish)
- CAA Parent Guide Grade 5 and 8 (link to other Languages)
- CAA Parent Guide Grade 10
- CAA Parent Guide Grade 10 (Spanish)
- CAA Parent Guide Grade 10 (link to other Languages)